Friday 26 October 2012

Nailed to His cross

Sometimes I share about being a wife.

Sometimes I share about being a mother.

Sometimes I share about things I love.

Sometimes I share about things I do.

Today, it's all about my sins.

I read these verses today for devotions, and I was so overwhelmed as I was reminded of what they said, that I couldn't neglect sharing.



"And you, being dead in your sins and the uncircumcision of your flesh, hath he quickened together with him, having forgiven you all trespasses
 Blotting out the handwriting of ordinances that was against us, which was contrary to us, and took it out of the way


nailing it to his cross; 


And having spoiled principalities and powers, he made a shew of them openly, triumphing over them in it." 
Colossians 2:13-15


Oh, how wonderful!!!

I was dead in my sins.  I was separated from God, by my sins.  They consumed me.  They were - and are - many. 

Vile.

Wicked.

Awful.

And, yet.....he forgave them all!   He blotted them out!  He made me alive!

He NAILED THEM TO HIS CROSS.

What a picture.  Those nails that were through His hands and His feet - those were MY sins nailing Him there.  MY sins that had Him hanging upon the tree, and suffering such agony and pain and torment.  It was the Lord who was taking MY punishment, and triumphing over sin for ME.  

So undeserving.

So amazing.

So inexplicably wonderful. 

That condemnation which declared 

"sinner - punishment by death eternally" 

now reads...

"redeemed - by the blood of the lamb"


Those large, Roman nails - nailing the Lord to the cruel cross - were there for ME.  As atonement for my sin.  Punishing the pure, spotless, Lamb of God, instead of me.  He was willing to suffer this way, and die, so that I could be eternally saved.

What a wonder. 

How can we not have tears in our eyes when we consider such love.

Such sacrifice.

Such selflessness.

To bow our head in wonder and say

"thank you"

And, in reality, we ought to be shouting it loud, and for every moment of the day.  Even still, we would not be able to fully thank Him for the depths He went to when He suffered on the cross.

What victory - my sin conquered by His death.

I finish with some words from hymn writers, who must have similarly felt a gratitude for Christ's work on the cross.  And a video of one of my favourite arrangers of piano music.


When peace, like a river, attendeth my way,

When sorrows like sea billows roll;
Whatever my lot, Thou has taught me to say,
It is well, it is well, with my soul.


Refrain
It is well, with my soul,

It is well, with my soul,
It is well, it is well, with my soul


Though Satan should buffet, though trials should come,

Let this blest assurance control,
That Christ has regarded my helpless estate,
And hath shed His own blood for my soul.


My sin, oh, the bliss of this glorious thought!

My sin, not in part but the whole,
Is nailed to the cross, and I bear it no more,
Praise the Lord, praise the Lord, O my soul!


For me, be it Christ, be it Christ hence to live:

If Jordan above me shall roll,
No pang shall be mine, for in death as in life
Thou wilt whisper Thy peace to my soul.


But, Lord, ‘tis for Thee, for Thy coming we wait,

The sky, not the grave, is our goal;
Oh trump of the angel! Oh voice of the Lord!
Blessèd hope, blessèd rest of my soul!












In Christ alone my hope is found,

He is my light, my strength, my song;

this Cornerstone, this solid Ground,

firm through the fiercest drought and storm.

What heights of love, what depths of peace,

when fears are stilled, when strivings cease!
My Comforter, my All in All,
here in the love of Christ I stand.



In Christ alone! who took on flesh

Fulness of God in helpless babe!

This gift of love and righteousness

Scorned by the ones he came to save:

Till on that cross as Jesus died,
The wrath of God was satisfied -
For every sin on Him was laid;
Here in the death of Christ I live.



There in the ground His body lay

Light of the world by darkness slain:

Then bursting forth in glorious Day

Up from the grave he rose again!

And as He stands in victory
Sin's curse has lost its grip on me,
For I am His and He is mine -
Bought with the precious blood of Christ.



No guilt in life, no fear in death,

This is the power of Christ in me;

From life's first cry to final breath.

Jesus commands my destiny.

No power of hell, no scheme of man,
Can ever pluck me from His hand;
Till He returns or calls me home,
Here in the power of Christ I'll stand.




No comments :

Post a Comment