Tuesday 26 February 2013

Prostrate on the Promises



"But let me tell you what is the best way of living in the world. I have heard that a gentleman said to a Negro, "I can't think how it is you are always so happy in the Lord and I am often downcast." "Why Massa," said he, "I throw myself flat down on the promise—there I lie; you stand on the promise—you have a little to do with it, and down you go when the wind comes, and then you cry, 'Oh! I am down;' whereas I go flat on the promise at once, and that is why I fear no fall." Then let us always say, "Lord there is the promise; it is thy business to fulfill it." Down I go on the promise flat! no standing up for me. That is where you should go—prostrate on the promise; and remember, every promise is a rock, an unchanging thing. Therefore, at his feet cast yourself, and rest there forever."

I read this quote from a  sermon by Spurgeon recently.  You must overlook the "non-PC" references, and look instead only at the truth it holds.

I have sung, for many years, the hymn "Standing on the promises".  But, don't the words of this wise servant-man hold much wisdom?  When we claim the promises of God, we can't just gingerly step onto them, hoping they will hold us up when we need them most.  

The more upright we are, the harder and further we fall.

The more upright we are, the more we are still relying on our own strength to remain standing. 

Instead of just saying we accept and acknowledge God's promises, we need to throw ourselves completely upon them.  Embracing them fully, and casting ourselves completely upon God.  Then, we are fully resting on Him, and all He is and does. 

What a reminder, also, that His promises are sure, and stedfast, like a rock.  

"On Christ the solid rock I stand,
All other ground is sinking sand"

But, instead of simply standing, don't we need to throw ourselves upon that Rock?

Prostrate, upon the One who holds us up - supports us and gives us strength to endure when the way is hard?



"Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. 
 Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls."
Matthew 11:28 & 29 

"But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew their strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; and they shall walk, and not faint."
Isaiah 40:31


"But my God shall supply all your need according to his riches in glory by Christ Jesus."
Philippians 4:19


 "Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: I will strengthen thee; yea, I will help thee; yea, I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness."
Isaiah 41:10


You know the promises that apply to your situation - those promises that you cling to day after day.

How about, today, we throw ourselves upon them?

Take hope, sweet sisters, that we can rely fully upon Him.

That His promises can take the full weight of the burden we carry.

Prostrate upon the promises - casting ourselves fully upon the Lord and everything He is able to do for us.








No comments :

Post a Comment