Thursday 18 September 2014

Will they still or will they go? {Scotland votes}

Today heralds a day which will go down in history, one way or another.

One little Island, being pulled in so many different directions.

Scotland will vote on Independence

I must confess, I have not followed the debates AT ALL.

Being a Scot who has relocated to England, and who married an Englishman, my mind was already made up, in one sense.  My family is united by an English father and a Scottish mother.  I am very happy to be a part of the UNITED Kingdom.

I am very "proud" of my heritage.  I say "pride", but it's not the right word, really. I love that I am Scottish.  I love our history.  I love the place.  I love the people.  It's an amazing place, and if you ever have the chance to visit, please do!

However, the issue of pride is something that seems to drive forward the many of the ones who want to divide from the rest of the United Kingdom.  Scottish people who are so proud of what they think they are, and what they think they can be without the rest of the kingdom, that they think they can "go it alone".  Proud of Scotland's resources.  Proud of its determination.  Proud of its driving force to be independent.

I'm not suggesting that this is the motivation for everyone, but I know it is a large part of the argument for many.

Just listen to a tribe of Scots singing "Flower of Scotland", and you'll hear nationalistic pride by the decibel....

I fear such pride, although possibly based on potential truth, is falsely based, and we certainly know what the Bible says about pride.

It comes before destruction.

I really do wonder if Scotland voting for Independence will destroy SO much.  A lot of their history, from the days when they were independent before, is very ANCIENT history.  It was a very different world to the one we live in today.  Life has moved on. I feel they are clinging to a romantic dream, desiring something that's a rousing concept, but a sad reality.  Dividing up something that has for CENTURIES functioned successfully.

Scotland has had many of its own ways, which made it different from the rest of the UK, anyway. Its legal system, its education system,  devolved government (without total autonomy, of course), and even sport leagues which are different.

What of our Royal family, our currency, our military? What would happen to that? Could the country survive financially?  What will happen to the rest of the Nation?

I know that there is much that is imperfect and far from ideal about the way this nation is run, as  a United Kingdom, but is it really reason enough to want to break that all apart, for some rousing notion?

I could be very wrong.  Perhaps Scotland will become independent and thrive. Perhaps it will all work out in many ways, but would destroy so many other lovely things, humanly speaking.  That part I would mourn, for sure.

The thing that disturbs me most, and this doesn't simply apply to any potential new government or nation, is the lack of Christ in it all.

Our United Kingdom government does not have Christ at its centre.

A Scottish government would not have Christ at the centre.

"Righteousness exalteth a nation:"
Proverbs 14:34  

I don't see much evidence of righteousness on any side of the debate, or in any government.

I really can see how this whole thing could be God's judgement upon a nation who used to hold Christ, and His Word, in high regard. We are ripe for judgement, really.

The future is unknown.

By us.

God knows.  He is still on the throne.  He is still in control.  He still knows best.

Whatever the outcome of today's vote, I know who holds the future.

I will be very sad if the outcome is a "yes" vote, but it won't change one thing.

My life is, and always will be, one which centres upon the daily nuts and bolts of honouring God in the place He has put me.  I am a wife - I'll keep working on doing that the best I can.  I am a mother - I'll not stop mothering my children because Scotland isn't in the UK.  I am an educator - well, some of that will change, because we'll have to include this era in future history - ultimately, that won't change either.   Who I am, and my goal in life, will remain unchanged.

Kingdoms come and kingdoms go, but my God is still ruler over all, time and for eternity, world without end.

Oh, and before I finish, the other issue that has been raised in my mind is this.  Christians can have different view points on secondary issues.  I am not condemning or criticising anyone else's point of view - we are all entitled to our own. How these things are handled, and the grace and love that is extended between parties of differing opinions, has not always been ideal.  For some reason, Christians so easily forget how they are to behave when any inflammatory issues are raised.  THAT is sad.

If you vote for Independence, I will still love and respect  you.  If you don't, I love you equally.

Oh, and so long as I can still freely access my beautiful homeland, along with my family, I don't really mind who is running it! It will still be as stunning, in God's beautiful creation, as ever.

AND, if you want a video that explains a little of what it is all about, watch this...

The end.





No comments :

Post a Comment