Monday 23 March 2015

A little bit of faith (and a step in the right direction}

At the moment, I am going through a season which is requiring me to rethink things that we do, and work out if  they are, in fact, the best way for us.   I'm trying to plan more, and think "outside the box".

However, this is a challenge for me.  Deep down inside, and right near the surface, I like things to be familiar.  Change slightly freaks me out.  The "norm" suits me just fine, but it doesn't always work out for the best.

Sometimes, we need change.

*gasp*

Yup.

I think that my mind struggles with change for a few reasons. For a start, I take a lot of time to make choices in the first place.  I have to know that something is right, in order to do it.  Change somehow implies that I have maybe failed in my original plan. I kind of beat myself up, with thoughts of "well, if you had done better with the first plan, change wouldn't be needed".

That's just my sinful pride, though.

Change isn't always to do with me.  In fact, with eight children, and two adults, in a home, it's pretty much likely to be the result of another.  More specifically, trying to better meet the needs of others. Change is really, then, about improvement.  Betterment.  Not failure.  Pushing yourself to do better, think better, be better organised. Saying that something doesn't work isn't failure!

The next reason struck me full in the face in my devotions this morning.  I'm still reading through Hebrews, and I came to chapter 11 today.

LOVE.

IT.

It's a chapter that never ceases to bring me fresh challenges.   This morning, it hit me in a "you're the Mummy" kind of way.

With so many changes and adaptations to make all the time, life can feel a bit daunting.  The whole "Am I doing the right thing, here?" mentality, can creep in. "Am I REALLY doing a good job?"  "Will I ever able able to achieve this?"

The Mummy mentality.  It's true.  We all ask ourselves questions like that! Don't we?.... (At least, I THINK it's not just me!)

Question after question can assault my mind. Regularly.

Ladies... Mummies... Wives....

Here's the thing.

Listen to this list of accomplishments from Hebrews 11.

(Ok, read it.)


"subdued kingdoms, 
wrought righteousness, 
obtained promises, 
stopped the mouths of lions, 
Quenched the violence of fire, 
escaped the edge of the sword, 
out of weakness were made strong, 
waxed valiant in fight, 
turned to flight the armies of the aliens. 
Women received their dead raised to life again: 
and others were tortured, not accepting deliverance; 
that they might obtain a better resurrection: 
And others had trial of cruel mockings and scourgings, yea, moreover of bonds and imprisonment: 
They were stoned, 
they were sawn asunder, 
were tempted, 
were slain with the sword: 
they wandered about in sheepskins and goatskins; 
being destitute, 
afflicted, 
tormented; 
(Of whom the world was not worthy:) 
they wandered in deserts, 
and in mountains, 
and in dens and caves of the earth."
Hebrews 11:34-38


Read it again.

REALLY read it.  Soak it in.  Think about your life, and see if something in that list feels familiar.  I almost guarantee it will! 

Now, here's the punch.  I missed the first bit out.  It's only a few words, but it's the key.

"Who through faith"

Faith.

That's it.  We don't even need an ocean filled with faith.  Not even a bucket full, or a teaspoonful.   Faith, as a grain of mustard seed. Teeeeeeeny, tiny faith.  But, we NEED faith. We won't please God without it.


"But without faith it is impossible to please him: for he that cometh to God must believe that he is, and that he is a rewarder of them that diligently seek him."
Hebrews 11:6


Our faith is rewarded by God's promises - by His presence, His peace, His strength, His wisdom. 

IF we diligently seek Him.  

IF we follow after Him.  

IF we DO!

That's the other thing.  I am never going to accomplish ANYTHING if I don't step out in faith, and attempt it.  I need to do my part, and follow diligently after God, and His ways, by DOING what He has led me to do.  A little bit of faith, and a step in the right direction - that's all it takes to accomplish great things for God.

That list - look at it again, just one more time.

It starts with subduing kingdoms.  Who am *I* to subdue a kingdom? Well now, I just happen to have my own little kingdom RIGHT HERE! My family, my home, my homeschool.  Right here, right now, I have a kingdom - we all do! Wherever God has placed you, is YOUR kingdom.  It's a BIBLICAL pattern to "subdue" your home, as a wife and mother.  Look at Proverbs 31! Right there, you have it.  Raising our children, too.  It's all about being in charge, and taking control.  It's what we should be doing, but we need FAITH, too.  

It's a two-fold thing.  Faith, plus works.  If you read through Hebrews 11, there is a verb attached to every "by faith".  (verb - that's the "doing" word - grammar lesson for the day, over!)  By FAITH - believing that God would lead, guide, and help them - they all DID something.  Go through and highlight them, if you do highlighting.  Underline.  Jot them down.  Whatever you do, do it.  Remind yourself that we can accomplish much by faith, but we still need to go out there and DO something. You don't read, in that whole list "By faith, Abraham sat back in his tent, with his feet kicked up, and watched while God just did everything for him".  No siree.  By faith, Abraham did something incredible.  He went on a long journey, faaaar, far from home.  He headed for a promised land, and trusted God for a promised future.  He was promised a family more numerous than the stars - he and Sarah had ONE son. One.  (And, we all know, when he ditched the faith part, and went in his own strength on the whole family part, it didn't work out too well.  Nope. Not one bit.)  We have to do, but we mustn't lose the faith part, either.  

We need to step out this week. Step out in faith, even just a teeny, tiny baby step.  But, step out, we must.  Trusting in our all-sufficient and all-powerful God, who is able to do ANYTHING.  Stepping out to please HIM, by demonstrating our faith and trust in His leading and guiding. 

The other little phrase, before I finish (because I could just go on and on, with this one - I'm finding it so inspiring!), look at the other phrase, in that list.

"out of weakness were made strong,"

WOOHOO!

Weak??? You betcha.  Weak as dishwater.  (Don't ask - it's a British phrase, when referring to a naff cuppa!)  I feel weak, REGULARLY.

Well, there's news.  These people, "who through faith", stepped out for God, were made strong out of their weakness.  Strong.  Proper STRONG strong.   God's kind of strong.  The only strong we need.

With a little bit of faith, and a step in the right direction, we will have weakness made strong, and then, OH, what we can achieve for God! 

Let's go forward in faith this week.  Whatever God has led you to be doing, faith, and action, will get you to amazing places!



2 comments :

  1. I loved this! It was just what I needed to hear today. Thanks for taking the time to write what I needed to read :-D xxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. So inspiring! Your so right WIth faith only as small as a mustard seed you can accomplish great things. Great view point! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete