Tuesday 11 October 2016

Praising my Saviour {all the day long}

I know that after a weekend, the devil will often try and get in and discourage us. Your days may be a challenge. Life may seem mundane. Trials and temptations to doubt God's never-failing goodness may come in like a flood.

Notoriously, Mondays are just not seen as a great day. (I even started this on Monday and am only finishing it today!)

But, as I opened God's word, to the Psalm that I was to read, before I had even hit the new working week,  I was given a reminder to boost me on my way. The challenge to cultivate gratitude has been a wonderful way to keep my eyes lifted to praise, and this Psalm reinforced that.

My eye particularly caught a phrase that was repeated several times. I read it, and my heart filled with song!


"Let my mouth be filled with thy praise and with thy honour 
all the day"

"My mouth shall shew forth thy righteousness and thy salvation 
all the day"

"My lips shall greatly rejoice when I sing unto thee; and my soul, which thou hast redeemed. 
My tongue also shall talk of thy righteousness 
all the day long: "


What a challenge to read that the Psalmist spoke and praised aloud what great things God was and had done, ALL THE DAY LONG.

He didn't say,

"I'm not much of a morning person, so don't expect me to be filled with much praise first thing in the day"

Nor did he say,

"I can only praise God and acknowledge his goodness when things are going well" (In fact, the Psalm refers to things not going particularly well AT ALL!)

He didn't even say,

"Well, I'm feeling a bit down, so I will praise Him when I feel better".

He didn't utter the words,

"I'm just plain tired by the evening, so you won't find me in the mood to give thanks and praise in the evenings. Life is hard."

ALL. THE. DAY.

Conviction.

It's not an option. We need to take matters that arise into our own hands, and conscientiously praise.

Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes we need to flip our thoughts around. Sometimes we fail.

But, praise, we must!

With so much to thank God for - with our salvation - Jesus is MINE - with blessing upon blessing - with so much that God preserves us from BECAUSE we seem to have hard times - praise, all the day.

The hymn that sprang into my head, of course, was "Blessed Assurance".

IN the last verse are these words

"Perfect submission, all is at rest
I in my Savour am happy and blest;"

Isn't this what it all hinges upon. We are in our Saviour - one with the Lord, through Jesus Christ, and so we are happy and blessed abundantly. THIS is our son of praise. THIS is why we sing "all the day long".

"This is my story, this is my song,
Praising my Saviour all the day long"




1 comment :