Saturday 11 August 2012

A chuckle from the past

We had friends staying with us this week, which was really lovely.

In the process of conversation, Robert remembered a funny story from when I had Joshua.

My lovely husband bought me a card, flowers...the whole shabang.  Being our first child, and all! (He still gets me flowers after each baby, but the card has not really been repeated...we don't really "do" cards!)

However, as is often the case with a first baby, it had been a loooooooong process.  We had been up all day Saturday, spent time with friends, gone out for dinner, and been up late on the Saturday evening.  Me, not doing anything much profitable. Robert -  preparing to preach the next day.  We learnt from that - don't be booked up to preach when your baby is overdue...or at least have a back up plan! *smiles*

I went into labour at about 2am and he hadn't gone to bed ( I had been there for a short while).  We had little sleep that night, and Joshua wasn't born until nearly 2am on the Monday morning.  Robert didn't get home to bed until at least a couple of hours later, and had to get up to collect my Mum from the airport.  It was a small wonder that he even though of a card and flowers at all!!

So, he brought them in, I admired it all, but it wasn't until that evening that I read the scripture reference that he put in the card.

It was from the Psalms, and I assumed it was something uplifting and thankful.

It was Psalm 31:10.

Do you know what it says???

"For my life is spent with grief, and my years with sighing: my strength faileth because of mine iniquity, and my bones are consumed." 

As you can imagine, my post-delivery mind was rather confused.

WHAT????  It was REALLY that bad?  The whole labour thing???

Until I stopped, and used my womanly brain to think outside of the box.

Proverbs 31 verse 10.  PROVERBS.

"Who can find a virtuous woman? for her price is far above rubies."

I laughed.  A lot!!! I smiled and pitied my poor tired husband who wrote the wrong reference.  And, when he came in to visit me next (yes, I had to stay in for FIVE long days...don't get me started....), he got a major ribbing from me.

We have laughed about it for a long time since!!!

So, the moral of the story?

Check you reference when you put scripture in a card - it may not be the one you thought it was!!!!

Happy Saturday!

1 comment :

  1. Talking of 'wrong' Bible verses reminds me of a story I heard about a Christian lady who was really struggling in her Christian life. She picked up the Bible and decided to open at random, going with what she read. Her eyes fell on,
    'And Judas went out and killed himself'. She closed the Bible quickly and decided that verse wasn't for her. She tried again, and her eyes fell on the verse, 'Go thou and do likewise' ...!!
    I think the moral of the story is not to pick and choose!

    ReplyDelete