Monday 25 July 2011

A sobering example of the influence of women

I really am loving my Bible reading schedule.

I love the diversity of each day.

I love re-reading portions of scripture I have read before.

I love having my eyes opened to something I hadn't thought about before.

Particularly when it is so VERY challenging, and sobering....

Today is Genesis - chapters 16-19 to be precise.  Lots about Abraham.  The destruction of Sodom and Gomorrah.  All very sobering on its own.

That's not what struck me.  It's the womenfolk in the passages.

Sarah. 

 Lot's daughters.

  

There's a positive challenge, and there's something to be avoided.  I'll get the bad stuff over first (a bit like a dinner with broad beans on the plate.....)


Genesis 16, verses 2, 4, 6, 8, 11 and 12


 And Sarai said unto Abram, Behold now, the LORD hath restrained me from bearing: I pray thee, go in unto my maid; it may be that I may obtain children by her. And Abram hearkened to the voice of Sarai.


 and she conceived: and when she saw that she had conceived, her mistress was despised in her eyes.



 Behold, thy maid is in thy hand; do to her as it pleaseth thee. And when Sarai dealt hardly with her, she fled from her face. 

And he said, Hagar, Sarai's maid, whence camest thou? and whither wilt thou go? And she said, I flee from the face of my mistress Sarai. 

  And the angel of the LORD said unto her, Behold, thou art with child, and shalt bear a son, and shalt call his name Ishmael; because the LORD hath heard thy affliction. 
 And he will be a wild man; his hand will be against every man, and every man's hand against him; and he shall dwell in the presence of all his brethren. 

The second passage is from Chapter 19, where Lot's daughters make their father drunk so they can lie with him and have children to maintain the family line.

(verses 27 & 38)  And the firstborn bare a son, and called his name Moab: the same is the father of the Moabites unto this day. 
 And the younger, she also bare a son, and called his name Benammi: the same is the father of the children of Ammon unto this day. 

Oh, the sorrow and problems caused by a woman who takes matters into her own hands, instead of entrusting her future to God!  Such sad events, all based upon foolish choices that these women made.

Abraham had been told that he would be the Father of many nations.  I would believe that he had shared that promise with Sarah.  I can't imagine him keeping that to himself.  But yet, Sarah decided to take matters into her own hands.  She was barren, so SHE thought it would be best to take matters into her own hands, and give her maid to her husband.  And then, what?  Hagar conceives, as was Sarah's plan, right? Sarah got a major case of the green-eyed monster! Oh, your great plan isn't so bright now, IS it Sarah?  

Abraham gives her permission to deal with her as she sees fit - and, so, of course she is gracious and tender.....ermmmm....no.  She dealt harshly with her. And then, she sent her away.

Thankfully, God is gracious and kind.  He preserved her life and sent her back to Sarah.  However, He also promised to bless the line of Ishmael.  And where has that got us now?.....the religion of Islam descends from Ishmael. Nothing further to add....

Oh, except.....be a wise wife.  Don't take matters into your hand that should be firmly in the domain of your husband.  THINK before you do.  Trust the Lord to fulfil His plan for your life, instead of resorting to humanly wisdom.  Make sure that every choice you make is centred upon God's Word, and not what you think is best.  It can have severe and far-reaching consequences otherwise.

The same goes for daughter 1 and daughter 2 of Lot.  This is far worse in many regards.  To have to make your father DRUNK, in order to do what they did, SHOULD have been a dead give-away that it wasn't the right thing to be doing.  Yet, once again, we see these women thinking that they know what's best.  And, the Ammonites and Moabites?  They caused problems for the Israelites over and over, and many of the countries who are still in conflict with Israel today descend from these people.  On the side of God being merciful and gracious, Ruth, of course, was a Moabite, and the Lord used her in the lineage from which David came, and of course, the Lord Jesus.  God can still make good come of bad choices, through His grace.  

Nonetheless, bad choices.  Man's wisdom and not God's wisdom.  No consulting their father first, and finding out what the head of the family had to say on the matter.  Not that they had a mother to consult, but that's a WHOLE other issue. 

Choices, ladies (and anyone else who may read my blog that doesn't come under that category!....).  We all have choices to make.  

We NEED to make good choices 

EVERY DAY.

So much hinges upon the choices we make.  The whole spiritual, physical and emotional well-being of our household hangs upon the choices we make. 

Do we consult our husbands about what he wants us to do?  Have you agreed upon which choices are yours to make on a day-to-day basis, and what he needs to be consulted about?  Go you consult the BIBLE before making choices?  Do you choose to train your children in the things of Christ over and above anything else?  Do you make choices for your children instead of letting them "rule the roost"?  Do you wisely choose your children's education?  What about our leisure time, our food?

These are all important ways in which choices are so vital!

Choose wisely, dear ones.

And let's not forget the positive that I promised.  On the subject of submitting to our husband's choices.

Genesis 18:6  And Abraham hastened into the tent unto Sarah, and said, Make ready quickly three measures of fine meal, knead it, and make cakes upon the hearth.

Do we read a

"*sigh*, but ABRAHAM, I am right in the middle of something else here...are you seriously asking me to drop everything and start the long process of making you some CAKES?  I mean, who says I have to do what you say, anyway?  Didn't God create us equal.  My duties are just as important as whatever you want me to drop everything to do.  I mean, could you not even just wait 10 minutes whilst I just finish up here?....." ???

Nuff said. 

Sarah is referred to in I Peter 3 as a submissive wife who called her husband "Lord".  She submitted to him, with respect, and here the Lord gives her as an example to us.

May we treat our husbands as respected "lords" today. Lovingly submitting to them in every way.

Choices.   Challenges.  












2 comments :

  1. I started out with the same reading schedule yesterday and am really looking forward to it!

    When you first mentioned that it wasn't the same book every day of the week I had thought it would be a bit too random, but then when I looked closer I realised it wasn't at all!

    Thanks for sharing it with us.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's actually very good - I don't think I have ever kept to a 1 year Bible plan so well - but that could equally be to do with my general spiritual state! ;-) I look forward to coming back to the same book every week - it kind of makes you want to read it even more! I hope you get on well with it too! x

    ReplyDelete