Thursday 13 June 2013

Chatting on a grey farmhouse porch

Well, FINALLY.  I get round to chatting to you, Patrice.  I have had a busy week, with jobs around the house, and visitors.  But, I am here now.  wishing it was was warmer and sunnier, so I could actually imagine being on a farmhouse porch this week.  As it stands, it's blowy, and not very warm.  Maybe we'll have summer start NEXT week?.....

On to our chat, even if it's over a hot drink, INSIDE!

1.  How many times a week do you have a green or veggie salad?
At the moment, a few times a week.  With me cutting out bread from my diet, lunches are more inventive.  At this time of the year, a salad is a fairly main part of what I end up eating. 

I miss bread.  


2.  Do you pray? 
Not as much as I should. I think that prayer is always something we can do more of.  I would say my prayer life is more of a continual thing, rather than long, set times of the day.  If I could get up a bit earlier, I would be able to have a  more focussed time of prayer.  At the moment, I do well to be up long enough before the children to do my Bible readings.  

I pray all through the day - whenever someone asks for prayer on FB, or some other online request, before I type that I am praying, I make sure to shut my eyes and MAKE that time right there. 

I long to have a prayer life like to so many great men and women I have heard of before.  I envy the quiet time my husband gets every day, at his study at the Church, where he gets peace to pray for as long as he wants and needs.  The Lord knows my heart and situation, though.  My prayers throughout the day, in not-so-quiet moments, are heard as equally as the prayers of anyone else. 

I do want to get back to my prayer diary, and pray for certain people on certain days, in a more specific way.  


3.  What season is your birthday? You do not need to give us the date.
I am a winter baby.  I always thought, as a child, that my Native American type name should have been "snowflake", as it was heavily snowing when I was born! The end of January can be like that in Scotland.   

I usually did quite well at my birthday - people managed to get post-Christmas sale bargains, and get more for their money! Plus, there are sometimes tail ends of sales by the time my birthday comes round, so spending my Birthday money was always fun! I sometimes wish it was further from Christmas, as there used to be times through the year where I would see something that I wished I cold request for a birthday, but whoever remembers by the time their birthday comes round again!?!?

Oh, and it's the 27th of January. 

4.  Do you have dinner guests often, every now and then or not at all? Wendell says he can be there for dinner as quick as a wink!
We always have my SIL, Bil and their boys, 2 Sundays a month - the first, and the last. Those are both days that we have Church related things that are closer to our house than theirs, so we have an ongoing arrangement that they nearly always come here. Then we often have some single folks from the Church, who it is always lovely to have.  The odd time we may have other Church people.  

Other than that, it's just whenever people come to visit.  It seems to go through phases.  We have some families, who are good friends, who we always enjoy having, and who often stay overnight as well. Some we cook for, some we go out for meals with, some we have take-away when they visit.  Does it count as "dinner guests", if I am not cooking?!? Then, there are family who come to visit, and friends, who just come for a meal or for the day.   

I LOVE having people to stay.  Life can be quite lonely at times, so having other adult company, especially female friends, is just lovely.  So long as people are willing to take us as they find us, they could pretty much drop in any time, and I could scrape a meal together to include them.

As for people who I *WISH* I could have as dinner guests - too many sweet people to count, and most of them over some body of water....

5.   Could you describe yourself as a DIY- Do It Yourselfer?
Well, if we are talking about life in general, then yes.  I do most things for myself, rather than asking someone else to do it.

If we are talking about actual "DIY" jobs around the home, then that's firmly my lovely husband's job.  And, he does it VERY well.  If something stops working, he fixes it.  OR at least he will give it a very good try.  My dishwasher stopped working, twice, and he worked out how to fix it!  He puts together flat pack furniture in a flash.  He fixes electrics.  He drills and hammers.  He put up my wall baskets for me yesterday.  He cleared trees from the back garden then laid patio slabs, because he's going to build  a shed.  I just love his abilities, and enjoyment, of DIY.  I am very blessed, because there are many men who are not as inclined or as capable as he is. 


Sorry I am a bit late with the chat, but we have had guests staying/eating/visiting for the last 2 days, and an Ikea trip on Monday, followed by putting together of furniture by hubby and me putting things ON the furniture, so I have been a bit tied up.  That sentence alone could have answered a couple of the questions, and if I had added that I had a green salad for lunch yesterday, that would have been another.  Saying I had been in much prayer for friends and family the last few days, would have answered another.  Not quite sure how I could wend in that I am a January baby into general conversation, though.

Until the next time, cheerio!

1 comment :

  1. Sounds like your birthday is at a good time for sales.Cutting out bread is very difficult. When we found out that we were gluten intolerant, I used to really miss bread. Not as much now though.

    ReplyDelete