Monday 16 January 2012

Matriarchs on a Monday - Rahab

Rahab - this is one lady who I always struggled with.

Because she was a prosttitute?  No.

Because she told a lie, in order to hide the spies.  I could never quite understand why that seemed to be, well, ok?!  She was still saved, despite sinning to help the spies.

However,  I was thinking about her in the summer, as I was teaching a lesson about her, at our Holiday Bible Club at Church.

Rahab was considered worthy, to be mentioned in the "Hall of Faith" in Hebrews chapter 11.


"By faith the harlot Rahab perished not with them that believed not, when she had received the spies with peace." 
Hebrews 11:31


Ahhhhh!  So, this is a blog post about faith!!??  We need to live a life of faith, right?  We need to trust God for everything?

No....and yes!  No, the post is not about faith. Yes, we do need to live a life of faith and trust God for everything! 

When I got thinking about Rahab, a simple, yet deep and profound truth rang out to me, amidst all that you could sling against the character of Rahab.

Grace.

Simply. Grace.

What is grace, exactly?

God's unmerited favour.

But, do  you know what?  Unmerited simply tells me that I have done nothing to MERIT His favour.  When, in fact, I have actually done things that "DE-merit" His favour.

I am undeserving of any favour, because I am a filthy, wretched sinner, in the sight of a holy God.  I can do nothing - NOTHING - to merit esteem...

"What was there in me that could merit esteem,
Or give the Creator delight?
‘Twas even so, Father, I ever must sing,
Because it seemed good, in Thy sight."

(author unknown)

I have sinned....oh, how I have sinned.  I have done SO much that would remove me far from God's love and mercy - far from communion with Him.

But, oh!  God's grace.  His merciful, full and free grace.  His love for hell-deserving sinners, that led Him to die upon a cruel cross, and take the punishment that I deserved.  So that I could be saved from an eternity without Him, in hell.

So, Rahab.  Who was she?  She was a sinner.  She was a harlot.  She was a liar.  She was....exactly the kind of person that needed TO be saved.  Like me.  Like you.  A sinner.  That simple.

Was being a harlot worse than being a liar?  Sin.  All sin.  All sinners.  We are ALL sinners.

And, by God's grace....by her faith, trusting in the one true God alone to save...by His grace, she WAS saved.

"for by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:" 
Ephesians 2:8



God's gift to Rahab...through her faith...was salvation.

God's gift to us....through faith....is salvation.

A gift so undeserved.  DE-merited, from receiving the gift of His grace.  Undeserving.

Ahhhhh - this is what makes it grace.  

Undeserving merit.  

Undeserving love.  

Undeserving favour.

How can we look at Rahab, and see anyone other than ourselves?

Sinners.  Deserving destruction.  But saved. Saved from destruction, by God's grace.

How can we do anything but thank Him?  Thank Him for His grace. For without it, we, too, would be condemned for destruction, as all those other occupants of Jericho, so long ago.

May we never cease to thank Him, for His great mercy toward us.  His grace.  His all-sufficient grace. 

Naught have I gotten but what I received;
Grace hath bestowed it since I have believed;
Boasting excluded, pride I abase;
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!


Refrain
Only a sinner, saved by grace!
Only a sinner, saved by grace!
This is my story, to God be the glory—
I’m only a sinner, saved by grace!


Once I was foolish, and sin ruled my heart,
Causing my footsteps from God to depart;
Jesus hath found me, happy my case;
I now am a sinner, saved by grace!


Tears unavailing, no merit had I;
Mercy had saved me, or else I must die;
Sin had alarmed me fearing God’s face;
But now I’m a sinner saved by grace!


Suffer a sinner whose heart overflows,
Loving his Saviour to tell what he knows;
Once more to tell it would I embrace—
I’m only a sinner saved by grace!
James M. Gray


2 comments :

  1. Amen! Btw- Rahab is my sister's favourite Bible character... not sure why, but she is :)

    I love that you made your post about grace. Simply that....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this post on Rahab! One of my favourite women of the Bible :)

    ReplyDelete