Wednesday 12 March 2014

Day 3 - Hope springs {5 Days of Spring Life-lessons}

Today, my post will be of particular relevance to my friends across the ocean. I know my American friends feel it is NEVER going to happen, but your snow WILL go... eventually!   Spring still seems like a long way off, I think?? Yet, as it does year after year, the spring will come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I find these warmer, sunnier days so positive and full of hope.  I feel energised, and ready to get things done.  Positivism overcomes pessimism.  It doesn't matter how dark those winter days have been, or how gloomy it has seemed, SPRING COMES!

We don't stay in one season forever.  The winter days may seem never-ending, but spring WILL come.

That feeling of hopefulness, seeing the bulbs push up, the weather improve, is just how we can live spiritually.  Changes will come, the hard days will pass, and be replaced with hope.

This Psalm sums things up so well.



 "I will bless the LORD, who hath given me counsel: my reins also instruct me in the night seasons. 
 I have set the LORD always before me: because he is at my right hand, I shall not be moved. 
Therefore my heart is glad, and my glory rejoiceth: my flesh also shall rest in hope. 
 Thou wilt shew me the path of life: in thy presence is fulness of joy;"
Psalm 16: 7-11


In verse 7 we think of "night" seasons, which are so like those winter days.  Even in those dark times, our heart and our mind (our "reins") can be learning and teaching us lessons. We bless the Lord, even in those times.  Do you see, though? Having a knowledge of the Lord's presence makes us unmoveable and strong. Our heart is glad, our glory rejoices, we have HOPE! We can move forward into the "day", or the newness of "spring", because we have this hope.  There is life - the path of life - and there is JOY!! We can rejoice as we go forward into a new season.

Have you been struggling in a spiritual "winter" time?  Have things been difficult?  Have you had endless challenges and few encouragements?

So often we can feel like the Psalmist - cast down, and discouraged.  Perhaps we have struggles in our marriage - a husband who doesn't lead, a husband who isn't saved, a husband who is never there. Perhaps we have trials with our children - behaviour or health issues, issues with school, Perhaps we have challenges on a personal level -  struggling with juggling all our responsibilities, battling with submission, poor health or the difficulties of pregnancy.  All these things can make us feel cast down, and many more circumstances beside.

"Why art thou cast down, O my soul? and why art thou disquieted in me? hope thou in God: for I shall yet praise him for the help of his countenance."


Here is the answer, and how to turn our trials into hope.  We KNOW the Lord will help us  We need to have the spirit that the Psalmist had - praise Him, even in the dark times.  Then we WILL have hope.  When our eyes are turned away from ourselves and fully upon the Lord, we will have hope.  Why?  Simply because our focus will be on the One who is able to do all things, and whatever our need, He can supply it. 

Friend, have HOPE! The Lord is with us, and He will show us paths of LIFE.  We can put the winter days behind us and step forward, with confidence and hope, into spring days.  

The SON is shining!  WE have the light of His countenance upon us, and the warmth of His love beating down on us, spurring us onto growth and new things.




No comments :

Post a Comment