Saturday 8 March 2014

International Women's Day? {Being thankful for who I am}

I kept hearing bits and pieces today about it being "International Women's Day".

We have a special day, other than Mother's Day?

Well, apparently, yes.

However, most of the news bulletins I heard today involved some feminist or another bemoaning the lack of gender equality and wanting the same position as men in society.

Having googled, the UN does seem to try and highlight many genuine issues facing women on a global scale, which are genuine concerns and issues. Some of them are issues exclusive to women, others are more general and they simply highlight how they affect women.  Fair enough.

I do NOT like, however, the endless mantra of feminists - wanting to be like men. Belittling men in their efforts to promote women.  I hate it with a passion.

Today, and every day, I love being exactly who God made me to be. A woman. I do not consider myself to be less than a man, certainly not in God's eyes. I don't think my life is worth less, or my opinions less valued, or my responsibilities less crucial.  They are just different to a man's.  It's how God made it to be.

I don't want to be a man, or have the responsibilities of a man, or the role of a man. I am not a man, so why would I?

Instead of thinking myself lesser, I consider myself to be perfectly created to fulfil a role which God has set out for me.

Firstly, I am a child of God.  Certainly, in that way, we are all joint-heirs with Jesus - all children of the heavenly King.  There is no "male nor female".  All co-equal with the Lord.  Mind-blowingly "wow".  God does not look on me as lesser, or indeed greater, than anyone else that belongs to Him. All equally loved.  All equally cared for.  All equally saved.

Secondly, I am a wife.  I don't consider myself to be the "lesser" part in our marriage, because I am the wife.  Meekness is not weakness.  Submission does not mean inferiority.  I admire, respect and gladly submit to the authority of my husband.  I wouldn't want to have his role, and the weighty responsibility it brings. I don't always find it easy, but the fall has meant that the struggle will always exist.  However, it's God's plan for a marriage to work that way, and so I embrace it and give thanks for it.  I certainly do not covet the role my husband has. I like to remember the precious analogy - God did not make Eve from Adam's skull, so she could rule over him, not from his foot so he could trample on her, but from his rib, so she would be by his side and near his heart.  The essence of our marriage is a "side to side, near each other's heart" emphasis, with Biblical headship being only an element of that unity.

Thirdly, I am a mother.  A Stay-At-Home-Mother.  A mother who, by God's grace, faithfulness, provision, and goodness, is able, and desiring, to stay at home to care for the children God has given me.   I don't consider this job to be a menial one.  Nor is it done with begrudging or resentment.  I consider it to be the most precious and important thing I could and should be doing, and would not contemplate it being any other way.  It is a joy to see my children learn an grow - to hear them say funny things - to watch them do new things.  It's not always easy, but it's always worth it.  Even childbirth, in all its agonies and groanings, is still an absolutely amazing experience which I would never want to forego.

I am totally content with who I am, where I am and what I am doing.  I joyfully embrace the role that God has given me to fulfil, and pray that He will continue to give me the grace and strength to do it better every day - to take on the challenges with joy, and never with regret or misery.

I am thankful for who I am, and wouldn't want to be anyone else, anywhere else or doing anything else.





No comments :

Post a Comment